Saturday, June 19, 2010

Finchity Finches - Welcome To Your New Home!

I've made half hearted attempts to start a blog earlier, but never managed to do so. This time however I'm going to try as I have good reason to! A friend of mine suggested that I document the story of our new Zebra Finches - so here's hoping I manage to do that!

Being a pet lover I've been desperate to keep pets at home, and dogs and cats having been ruled out, the choice was narrowed down to fish or birds - both of which didn't really appeal to me too much at the time. Things changed though, when about a month ago I stepped out of my house and found that my neighbours had bought a pair of Zebra Finches. I'd never seen them before and they're such darling adorable lil things that it just clinched the deal for me. I asked the neighbour's daughter where she got them from and she gave me rather vague directions to a place pretty close to our house. In fact she didn't seem too sure of the exact location or area!

I waited for the weekend to come, and then decided to set out to find the pet shop. It took some searching but we finally found it and discovered that the guy kept both fish and birds; and he still had about 15 odd Zebra Finches left. I’d set out with the intention of just going to have a look, but the sight of all those finches was irresistible! To cut a long story short, we finally walked out of there about thirty minutes later – proud owners of six little finchies!

We decided to name them after the characters in “Friends” – meet Monica, Rachael, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler and Ross!!

Left to Right : Monica, Chandler and Rachel



Having a bath!



Eating their egg food - basically egg white and finely ground egg shell



All six of them



Egg food!

No comments:

Post a Comment