Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Our Second Set of Finchy Babies!

One of the eggs from the second nest hatched this morning, and we had another squirming tiny one inch long finch baby! There was another egg yet to hatch, but we were expecting it to be later today or tomorrow morning, as the eggs normally hatch in the order they are laid.

We gave the finches boiled carrots and beans, but they didn't seem too interested. Since the mothers need to feed their babies, and soft food is essential I decided to cook them some peas as they like it more than any other vegetable or fruit we've given them so far. While I was putting the peas inside their cage, I peeked into the second nest to see the new baby, and what do I see but the second egg about to hatch! The mother was helping the baby inside to come out so I ran inside and grabbed the camera as I didn't know when I would get shots like this again. Here are some of the photographs. What an amazing feeling it was to see that little baby emerge from the egg!





No comments:

Post a Comment